Conversations about performance in many organisations tend to be limited to an annual or bi-annual appraisal of an individual’s performance with little given over to the health or otherwise of the system in which this performance takes place.
These also tend to be one-way conversations.
Often, people hesitate to address anyone’s performance, whether that’s manager with staff, worker with co-worker or staff with manager because of the strongly held construct of the “performance review” as being the place where these conversations get held.
In this episode, we attempt to re-imagine performance conversations that happen all the time, with everyone, all over the place.
All it takes is 20 seconds of courage in the first instance of a performance issue coming to light, so that they don’t get saved up and turn into mountains.
- “Do we really need performance management?” – by John Wenger
- “It’s not a behavioural problem: it’s the system” – by John Wenger
Listen to the podcast
Other listening options
- Download the MP3 file – 71 MB
- Listen via iTunes
- Listen via Stitcher
[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”14012719″]
- Sociodrama – Episode 037 - August 16, 2016
- Louise Altman – Episode 036 - May 24, 2016
- Anne McCrossan – Episode 032 - February 9, 2016